Search This Blog

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Apples of Gold

I have not been writing much lately. Life has been busy and I have been so blessed to participate in a program that is called "Apples of Gold" that my dear, dear friend Margie invited me to. The website for the program is http://www.applesofgold.org/. This is such a great program. Anyone who ever gets a chance to go, should really do it. Our church so graceously provides this program for us "younger" women to be mentored by the "older" or more mature women. It is based on scripture in Titus 2:3-5.

For us, it was a six week program where we got spoiled. We went to a beautiful home here in town that belongs to one of the beautiful ladies who helped out. We got to go to her breathtaking(gorgeous!) house every week. We were warmly greeted by my dear friend Margie and other mentors. We gathered around Norma's kitchen bar (all of us fit around it!) and enjoyed lovingly prepared snacks, tea, coffee, wonderful cooking lessons and each other's company. During the cooking lessons we learned much about nutrition, meal planning, meal preparation and all other sorts of helpful information for wives and moms. All the while being thoroughly entertained by the ladies who cooked. It was a blast.

After the cooking session we'd go downstairs to have a bible study led by one of the mentors. These lessons where on specific topics and scripture as outlined by the program: Kindness, loving your husband, loving your children, submission, purity and hospitality. These lessons where so important and in my opinion, should be taught to all girls, especially when they embark on the journey to start their own families. The way that God's plan is laid us for us woman in this study is just amazing. It has given me so much confidence in my day-to-day dealings. Having the mentors tie these important messages with personal tid-bids enriched them so much more. Our little group grew together so closely during six short weeks and I believe most of us have a real soft spot for each other now.


As if this wasn't enough, after the second hour we'd be called upstairs where tables had been thoughtfully decorated for us and the mentors mixed in different combinations with the students every week for an hour of lunch and coversation. These lunches were lovingly prepared by the cooking helpers who then served all of us lunches, drinks and desserts.

It was such a blessing to be able to be part of this. I soaked up every little drop of it, every last little one. Although I'm a very enthusiastic person, I don't get all that invested in people and events usually. This has changed me a little more. I've grown closer to my God, realize more of his plan for me in my life, am a better wife and mother, have some more yummy receipes and am just such a happier person, having seen what others are willing to do for me because of what God asks them to do. And along the way I got to meet some VERY special woman. I look forward to seeing them and they just put a smile on my face.

Our last get-together was a dinner for the husbands was on a weekend evening. This was David's opportunity to see what I've been up to all this time. Isn't that just a thoughtful ending to the program? David enjoyed himself as well in the company of these warm and caring people. We had good and easy conversation and he got to meet all the lovely woman I'd been telling him about. That meant a lot to me. We had a fabulous meal and they even surprised me with a birthday song, a card, balloons and a wonderful necklace that the husband of my mentor had worked on when he was still with us.

It was such an incredible six weeks and I'm just so sad it is over. Maybe David, the kids and I can move and change our names so I can enroll all over again???


"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver."
Proverbs 25:11


The necklace I got from my mentor.

1 comment:

  1. I can't tell you the joy I feel when I read your blogs about AOG!!!
    I am blessed that it has so richly blessed you and your family. I am thrilled to see that you are able to apply things you've learned to your every day life and I am blessed to have met you, my new, very dear friend.
    Bless you, Christine!

    ReplyDelete