Search This Blog

Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Potter and the Clay

Nothing in life has brought me more to my knees and closer to God than motherhood. Nothing. Not even close. Sure, I've learned a lot being married. However, David and I had spent 5 blissful years together before we had kids. And I learned some things about God and his love for us. But let's face it, adversity is what really gets you down on your knees and reaching for God.
Motherhood has stripped me bare, showed me all those ugly selfish tendencies and pride inside of me I never knew existed. But the beautfiul thing that happens when we see those ugly sides of ourselves, is that God lovingly gives us a new heart, and puts a new spirit in us (Ezekiel 36:26). What better way to do this than through motherhood. When we are pushed to our limits, we cannot hide behind anything and our true self is exposed. Maybe even to us for the first time. But we are so motivated by love and the helplessness of our children. We can't walk away. We love them. It's so hard but we'll do it for them. Motherhood is a wonderful gift. Maybe much of it so because we see another part of our God, loving and patient, incredibly patient. I want to become more like Him and learn more about His kind of love: Patient and kind, not envy, not parade myself, not be puffed up, not behave rudely, not seek my own, not be provoked, think no evil, not rejoicing in iniquity, but to rejoice in the truth, to bear all things, believe all things, hope all things, to endure all things. To never fail in love. (1 Cor 13:4-8)

"But now, O LORD,
You are our Father;
We are the clay, and You our potter;
and all we are the work of Your hand."
Isaiah 64:8
"And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter;
so he made it again into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to make."
Jeremiah 18:4
"O house of Isreal, can I not do with you as this potter?" says the LORD. "Look, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Isreal!"
Jeremiah 18:6

No comments:

Post a Comment