Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Valentine's Day 2011 - True Love

For Valentine's Day this year my wonderful husband once again gave me a wonderful thoughtful gift. He took me out for dinner. Well, you say, that is nothing that special. There is more to this though. If you know my husband, then you know he's a meat and potatoes guy. He loves that food. What he doesn't like is "weird" food. That pretty much sums up most vegetables. Squash is exotic to him. Plain, simple, American food. That's the ticket. Not weird stuff. Beyond weird are some of the foods I love and cherish. On the top of the weird list? Sushi. Really, to a meat and potatoes guy, how much weirder than Sushi can you get? So obviously, if I want to go eat Sushi, I usually have to wait for my Mandy to come over from Germany. Sushi, although loved tremendously, does not happen often (which makes it all the more appreciated when I do get it). For Valentine's Day my husband did something that most likely scared the living daylights out of him. He took me for Sushi. That's right. Not only was he going to take me, he was going to share the experience and eat it! When we left, I was as excited as a little girl on Christmas Eve. I didn't expect him to like it at all but was just excited that he would do something with me which I loved so much, even though it was the most strange thing to him. Uncomfortable, strange, weird (again, top of the list) and most likely very displeasing. He did great. He felt uncomfortable at first but quickly got the hang of it. He tried many different types, working his way from plain cooked shrimp on rice to fancier things, including baked mussels and octopus. Even though he didn't fall head over heels for sushi, we enjoyed our evening together very much. It was awesome, to be honest. He even promised me we'd go again....in about two years or so. Again, my husband taught me that the best gifts are not things we give. I will cherish this very much and remember it fondly.

His first piece was a safe cooked shrimp on rice. You can see the doubt in his face though. And by the size of the tiny piece he bit off....


My first try: Squid salad. Was really good. Sorry Mandy to make you drool... Mama, I know this is gross to you, so just skip the pictures.


I had quite a few of these. It still stuns me that David ate some.


See that happy girl!


This picture isn't very sharp but I love the look on his face. He isn't quite sure whether or not this is going to kill him.

He even ate shrimp tempura. That is not really that surprising. What is surprising is that he ate it with the avocado in it!

Bravery feels gooooood.


After he'd tried a few pieces of sushi, he had to cleanse his palate with good ol' American food. :-) We stopped to get him a cheeseburger.

Thank you so much for taking me. It really meant a lot to me and I had a blast. You got a date for 2013!

2 comments:

  1. love that he washed it down with a cheeseburger :)

    go dave! i know you, christine, and i can only imagine how happy this made you.

    oh and now i'm craving sushi... thanks a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete