Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

School Boy



With the end of summer looming, school was just around the corner. The closer it came, the more excited I was for Nathan. Nathan, as any 5-year old, was pretty calm about it. He was probably more excited about the prospect of his Schultüte (a candy-filled cone given to German's on their first day of school). But he was also admittedly excited about going to school.
Nathan was able to go to his classroom prior to the actual start of school and sit in class with his teacher. They read a story, colored, went over numbers and letters and played. He got seeds for a zinnia to plant. His teacher told him that when the flower bloomed, it was time to come back to school. Unfortunately our cat Twig at the small plants. I guess the cat really did eat our homework... Nathan was quite dismayed at this. He looked at me confused and asked: "Now how are we going to know when I have to go to school?" :-) Thankfully his teacher wrote him a very nice letter before school started.
The first day of school came quickly. Parents got to stay a little bit the first morning and see their kids' check-in routine. Man, I recommend all new mommies get some pointers from teachers! Within minutes I learned so much that would have been very useful two years ago. :-) Simply the way they easily and right away set up routines. Nathan was a little unsure of himself. He likes to observe new situations first rather than having to do it right away. He did great though. You could tell he had a hard time letting us go. He kept calling us in and his dad needed to say good-bye twice. We were very excited for him. Just about until I walked out of the classroom without my son. Then I got really emotional. Guess it's a rite of passage. Thankfully I had David to lean on. And the fact that Nathan's teacher is fantastic. So leaving him with her made it easier.
It was a long first day, but it was amazing how much different our family dynamics are on schooldays. It gives Abigail a chance to be the biggest one at home, taking more responsibility and more leadership. But I sure do miss my wild child. It's hard to imagine him sitting quietly in a chair....
Nathan entering his classroom.


Abigail and Isabelle came along for this special event.

Later on at Grampy's - little cousin Olive and little sister watching on as big brother opens his Schultüte.

Uncle Matze & Mandy tricking Nathan into trying some sour German candy.

Oh yes! Even though school was awesome, this is really what it was all about! :-) It is a German tradition, that on your very first day of school, you get a cone filled with candy and school supplies. School pictures are taken on that day, next to a blackboard that states "My first day of school" and the year. Then, when your first day is over and you come home, you get to open the cone. Since we didn't have a blackboard, Matze & Mandy made this sign.

You think he is excited?

Uncle Matze & aunt Mandy brought the Schultüte from Germany. They dragged it along as their carry-on and then went to the German store in Portland to get authentic candy. :-) Mama appreciated that just as much as Nathan did, if not more.

I'm grateful to my husband, to be so wonderful and letting our son attend a Christian school. It is such an additional financial responsibility in these challenging times. I hope our children will one day know how deeply they are loved.

"For I know the plans I have for you”—this is the Lord’s declaration —“plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 You will call to Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.m13 You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. " Jeremiah 29:11-13

4 comments:

  1. it's so nice to hear that nathan's transition has been so easy. i am sure he is learning lots and lots.

    if you ever need teacher tips, remember you've got one in your family ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that I needed to learn this. I will e-mail you for sure... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That baby is sure growing up fast!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and "helping" me!

    Blessings,
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Schulanfang mein Spatz
    Big Hug and Kiss from OMA

    ReplyDelete