Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My Mother's Legacy

My mom, although she worked lots of hours (having two beauty salons) was very determined in certain areas.  For example, we had a cooked meal almost every night, even if my mom worked from 4am until 2am (housework and job).  One of the other things she always made happen was special tables.  Most Sunday mornings, we had special tables and all had breakfast as a family.  She would take out the fine china, get out all the food, decorate the table, and even make hot chocolate for us kids.  It was always very special.  I remember sitting on our front porch, having a lovely breakfast when neighbors would pass underneath on their Sunday morning walks.  It was lovely.  And my mom rocked for doing this for us, no matter how tired  she was.
In recent years I've been trying more and more to follow into her footsteps.  Especially now that Abigail is getting older.  We started with just setting nice tables here and there, getting more and more dishes at Goodwill and garage sales.  I was fortunate enough to inherit a beautiful set of dishes and various platters/bowls from my mom.(thanks, mom!).  We got a nice table cloth and slowly but surely got all we needed.  Then I started to decorate my table for guests who came for tea, like my mentor Earline or my dear friend Margie.  Soon realizing that Abigail need to learn the art of hospitality, I started to involve her.  She loved it.  She loved running in our garden to get flower and put them on plates.  She has her own style for sure (such as leaves on plates) but it is really cute.  Tomorrow she'll have her first tea party (well, first official one) with cousins Olive and Rosie and of course, Isabelle.  Auntie Megan and Grandma will join us too.  Abby decided to make Angel Food cake with strawberries and cream.  She picked it out of Emilie Barnes' tea book.  Too bad my mama can't be there to see her legacy....

1 comment:

  1. Scön geschrieben,freut mich, dass du dich an so schöne Tage erinnern kannst.

    ReplyDelete