Search This Blog

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Where It's At - Abigail (5 1/2)




Oh my goodness, do I love this little girl in my life!  Life with Abby is anything but dull.  She is extraordinary, fun, bursting with life, brightening your day, full of music and sounds.  She is loud and quiet, all in the same day, and not much in between.  If I had to describe Abigail's character in a nutshell, she knows exactly who she is and what she wants.  No second thoughts about it.  She is herself and always true to that.  How that happened with a mother who is still unsure at 38, only God knows.  But it is so very good for my soul.

If you were living with Abigail, these would be some phrases you would frequently hear:

  • "Can you put my music on?"
  • "Can you read this to me?"
  • "Can I have candy?" (many times a day she asks....)
  • "Can you stay with me?"
  • "Can you rub my back?"  (This she can have for hours on end.)
  • "NATHA-AN!"
  • "But Nathan was being mean to me!" (Excuses any of her bad behavior.)
  • "Isabelle!  Give that back to me!"
  • "I just went to the potty!"(if asked to eat her dinner)
If you were to live with Abigail, you would notice the following:
  • Abigail loves any form of expression: coloring, language, written word, music, dance.  She listens to music any time possible.  Last weekend I gave her a very own CD player.  It was a big day.  Now there is even more music in our day.  Her favorite music are her numerous Veggie Tales music CDs, particularly Sweatpea.  She also likes her VBC CD.  She will listen to other music CDs occasionally (like her Elmo ones) but not very often.  Lately, she has been wanting to listen to daddy's music on the radio.  During car rides, if I haven't already put it on, she will remind me frequently to please put her music on.
  • She is exploding with life.  Sometimes I wonder how her little body can hold all of it in.  She has the most infectious laugh and when she laughs, her whole face laughs.  Her eyes just glitter.
  • She still gets compliments on her hair daily.  People just love her haircut. (Thank you, Frankie for choosing one for me when I had no clue what to do.)  Abigail loves her haircut as well, but more for practical reasons.  This she got from me (practicality).  :-)  Thanks to my mom for the genetic material for such great hair!  Or maybe it is her personality coming out?
  • She just loves animals, particularly Daisy and Copper.  She made Daisy put up with her and all other kids in our house.  It started with Abigail just laying in front of the bed where Daisy was hiding from her under.  Then as Daisy wasn't so scared anymore, she lay next to her and just talk to her.  Now she can pick Daisy up and carry her anywhere (not that Daisy particularly likes this but she does somehow like the little redhead and puts up with being carried around).
  • Abigail is determined (aka stubborn).  This will get her far in life and is a great trait for a successful girl.  It is what makes her learn the she piano by herself, makes her knit by herself, made her learn to read (at 2nd grade level  - fluently when she was only 5 years old).  It is hard for a mama sometimes....
  •  Most days though she is an excellent help to me. She empties the dishwasher, helps cooking, does an excellent job mopping floors, sweeping floors, folding laundry and emptying the dishwasher.
  • Abigail loves to dance, so we are thinking about enrolling her into ballet classes.  I love the idea of my little girl doing ballet. :-)
  • Abigail has been fortunate to have two girls playing and guiding her over the last two summers and one winter break.  Abigail (13) and Hannah (8) (Tanya's girls and Williams sisters) have been loving playing with her although their age differences.  Abigail picks up so many good habits from them and applies them in other areas of her life (such as playing with cousin Olive).  Other friends of hers are Katiree (Beth), Evan (Melissa), Hailey (Sarah).  During baseball season she also made friends with a little girl named Grace (Natedog's sister).  She also made friends with a neighbor girl, Kira. The two of them walk around holding hands.  It's really cute.
  • Abigail's favorite foods include just about any and all dairy (which I took away in order to give her tummy a break), crackers (Ritz or Goldfish), fruits (raspberries are her very favorite), noodles (plain preferred), Chicken noodle soup, and saltines.  She loves to drink lemonade, milk and not much else.  She is not fond of any meat other than sausage.
  • Abigail still likes to color but prefers a very sloppy and expressive style.  The lines are optional in her world and she actually prefers not to stay in them.
  • Books, books, books.  Abigail loves books.  If you know the show "the Middle", Abigail's love for books rivals that of Brick's.  Her favorites include Berenstain Bears, Amelia Bedelia, Veggie Tales, Dr. Seuss.  She loves for me to read her Berenstain Bears and Madeline (Bemelmans), Are You My Mother, Dr. Seuss, Veggie Tales.
  • Abigail has her own style when it comes to clothes.  Usually it is very colorful.  And winter boots are totally acceptable to wear with summer clothes.  Barefoot is actually preferred.
  • Abigail does not like to be alone.  She even wants me to come into the bathroom with her or into the shower stall (which I do not do, just for the record).  She is happy to have a sister in her room but would much rather have Isabelle sleep in the same bed (which Isabelle declines).


Abigail wanted to type as well.  Here is what she said:

mama. mammy loves yarn.


No comments:

Post a Comment