Search This Blog

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Carpal Tunnel

After two years, I was very happy to have carpal tunnel release surgery on Wednesday.  I'm weird, so the following statement might not make sense to you:  I quite enjoyed the surgery.  First off, patients lay down on one of those comfy, comfy surgery beds.  You know, the kind you can make the legs move up and the back up to sitting position (note to hubby: GREAT birthday gift!!).  Then there is this waiting period: simply relaxing. And to top it all off, nurses kept bringing heated blankets.  Heated!  They put them around my shoulders, on my feet and over my pregnant tummy.  Seriously?  I told the nurse this was like a visit to a spa.  She chuckled that I must be a mother of little ones.  Ha!
After they rolled me into the ER, I had a short panic attack after a strange feeling flooded my body.  Panic washed over me and I thought I might have an unexplained reaction to something.  I asked the anesthesiologist if he had given me something and he said that yes, indeed, he had administered a mild sedative.  That made me feel better.  Well, I'm not gonna lie, the sedative made me feel fantastic.  Didn't feel a thing during the surgery.  And my wonderful husband greeted me as soon as I was done.  My hand was numb and as soon as the lidocaine was metabolized, the hand was feeling better.
The main reason for my post though is not to bore anyone with my perspective of the surgery but the funny, if not hilarious reactions my kids had.  After surgery the doctor put a simple wrap around my hand to stay for 24 hours.  The repaired hand also had to rest above my heart for at least 48 hours.  This is what my kids first saw.
Isabelle just kept her distance for a while.  I held her a few times but she was definitely confused.  The second day, my wrap came off and she saw my owie.  She kept coming by, wanting to look at it and kept saying "poor mamee."  She'd lay her head on my lap as to comfort me.  It was too cute.  I tried explaining that it didn't really hurt and just looked bad but she was not distracted from her sympathy.  She tried to touch it a few times and I had to really impress upon her that this was not a good idea.  She started to get real weary of my surgical leftover again when I resorted to my last-ditch effort to make her feel better: My cut started to talk to her.  Yep, it's weird.  But it worked.  Well, for a little while.  Because I wasn't allow to do anything but feed myself and dress myself, she was getting very emotional.  She wanted me to constantly pick her up and do things that just weren't possible.  Grandma, who was amazing enough to help out during this time, got the toddler wrath.  She was basically my "replacement" and Isabelle, who usually adores her grandma, wouldn't have any of it.  She'd scream and yell at poor "grammy".   Naturally, some rules were bent, little girls were picked up and well, you know how it is...
Abigail seemed fine after she saw me.  She seemed the only one undisturbed by the whole thing.  Makes sense, she is a lot like me, so this wouldn't bother her at all.  Until I walked toward her yesterday to hug her and she looked at me earnestly and said: "Please don't touch me with your yucky hand."  Hmmm...
Nathan was the funniest one.  He was somewhat stressed over this whole thing, not wanting mom "to have to hurt."  Although he was told multiple times that there wouldn't be any pain, he didn't quite understand this.  When I greeted him at the door after he returned from school, he surprised me with his emotion over my wrapped hand.  Again, he was assured that it looked worse than it was and there was no pain.  This is the boy who watched multiple carpal tunnel surgeries on YouTube with me.  He could also not look upon my hand after the wrap was removed.  Hiding my hand from him is the best strategy for this child.  :-)
All in all, their reactions are different from what I would have expected.  Isabelle's emotion over it all was a big surprise.  Nathan being grossed out is normal but after he watched some of the surgeries, the expectations were somewhat different.  Abigail was just funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment