Search This Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Christmas Eve 2015 Pictures and a little IEW (Student Writing Intensive)

These pictures loaded out of order and I'm too lazy to re-arrange them.  :-)
I've previously posted on our day here.  So these are just the pictures to go along with that post.
For the homeschoolers among you, just for fun: I can't just write anymore.  IEW rules are in my head now!  Arg...  Just for fun,  I've underlined some of my dress-ups for you in the dog paragraph.  :-)

Abby, hanging up her new creations thanks to a Klutz window cling art kit from Oma.  She really made some nice decorations and got very creative.  Our little teacher girl even helped an excited Olive and Rosie make some art while they were here on Christmas Day.

Hanny playing in Oma's kitchen for Isabelle.  The two little girls love to play in here.  Isabelle even decorated it with her owls.  

Hanny's sandbox from Oma.  Since it is not yet able to be played with outside, we have it inside for now and Hanny loves to just sit in it, put stuff in it, play with the figurines or slide down the bridge.  It also makes for easy clean-up for Isabelle if she happened to make a big mess in the play room.  Just throw all the toys in, close the lid, mom will never know!

Stocking stuffer balloons with elastic on them.  I love how Isabelle can't blow hers up but she keeps faithfully trying.  :-)
Both girls enjoyed dressing up this season.  They'd be in dresses every day. 
Tangent: I found these gorgeous curtains at an antique store in a town down the road.  They were not antique but beautiful orange with glitter in them, perfect for the holidays when you have a rust-colored couch.  They looked fantastic, especially with lights around the windows.  Alas, you could see right through them from the outside! Bummer!  Have to figure out how to line them now.  So here are the bum brown ones again.  As I get older, I realize how much I love bolder colors.  Not necessarily in popular color schemes, but my own likes and dislikes.  The love for orange surprised me, as I usually don't care much for it, or at least thought I didn't.  Funny thing is that it is my mom's favorite color and I just found out about it after we got her flowers for Mother's Day from my brother.  The kids do really like the living room, and therefore it makes sense that they too enjoy the colors in it.  It does remind one of a beautiful sunny day. It is calming and uplifting, especially when the window to the outside only reveals a gray and dull day.  I'm so very happy my mom got that couch for us AND decided it was time to repaint our living room.  Thanks mom!

The sport-loving (quality-adjective) dog got himself a pink jump rope.  Don't you just love how he sprawls (strong verb) out frog-legged?  
Nathan has been bonding so much more with Copper lately.  And Hanny adores the dog.  :-)  Although (when, where, while, as, if, .....)  Because (because clause) Copper still isn't sure that he isn't in trouble when Hanny's launches one of her love attacks.  She gets quite the look on her face and squeals (strong verb) and throws her lovely (-ly) self on him.  It makes him wag his tail and escape at the same time.  By escaping he then drags Hanny, who is still leaning on him, along in the other room.  Quite amusing. (VSS)

Isabelle with her precious crown from the Matson's.  She loves it.  And of course she has tons of candy in her hands and a doll she got from Dick & Jennifer.  Hanny got the matching girl doll.  Since they are squishy, the girls enjoy cuddling with them.  
Both girls seem to enjoy the pantry room as a play room.  It is a bit crowded in there for my taste but they don't seem to mind.  So much so that the older kids cram in there as well and build blanket forts.

Christmas Eve dinner.  Isabelle looks tiny in this picture.  
Because Christmas Day itself is a big cooking day, we keep it simple on Christmas Eve.  Even though I would love to make a big meal on Christmas Eve, one by my own choosing.  Christmas Day is usually a traditional meal that the whole family has come to love.  I look forward to the day when Abby is big enough to help and we whip up things together with Isabelle and Hanny in the kitchen.  Nathan is all about the breakfast on Christmas Day.  He loves pancakes, bacon, sausage.  For a boy who probably only likes 5 foods, having 3 of those in one meal is a winner!

Someone is excited about dinner.  They all wanted to use their favorite cups instead of my pretty glasses.  Whatever....  :-)  The table mats are a previous gift from my mom and the tree napkins were made and gifted by my very good friend Tanya.
The kids like to decorate our tables nicely.  I invest in one of those table cloths ever few years.  They are a bit spendy but a lifesaver.  Any stain washes right out of them (they are stain proof) and they come out of the dryer almost wrinkle-free.

Joining us for dinner: The Elf!  He was a bit lax this year, but we all were busy.  Nathan wasn't too happy about this but hey, what are you going to do?  
The little runner if from my childhood and many an advent candle decoration graced it while I was growing up.  I remember red wax being stuck to it many a year.  It is one of my favorites.
The tree jar was a very special gift this year from my dear mentor Earline.  She made two of them for us, which was perfect: One for the big table, one for the kids' table.

The tree napkins from Tanya.  I admire her sewing talents.  She had seen this at a bazaar and just went home and made some of her own!  
My mom purchased the place mat set when it was just four of us.  They have two different motives of an old-fashioned Santa in nature.  My mom bought them at my favorite Christmas bazaar.  She loved our American Christmas bazaars so much and I hope one year she can come again for the season and maybe spend Christmas too.

Another fantastic sewing project: Isabelle's crown.  While also gifted by Tanya and her family, it was made by Abby and Nathan's former art teacher.  Her sewing skills are amazing!  My hope is to send the girls to sewing classes as they get older.  It is a skill I wish I had learned prior to having children.

Cutie patootie sliding down the sandbox bridge.  Who knew?  A slide included!

More window clings.  Are you admiring my squeeky clean windows?  Yes, I'm being sarcastic.  Gave up on cleaning those.  Literally takes a big chunk of time and the dog will jump up on them with muddy feet a minute later, followed by sticky hand children.  To the top right is Abby's "Merry Christmas", to her left a frog with a crown and a puppy.  There is an airplane in the very top left and a hot hair balloon to the right of the airplane.  Also some of our snowflakes from the scarce projects the Elf required this year.
While this year was very basic and simple (my first year homeschooling and a busy little explorer), it was still very lovely.  I think the kids might have liked to have a few more activities (especially Nathan) but we did alright.  I'm very proud of the few days David was off and we all sat together and played board games.  Catan was our favorite, closely followed by Trivial Pursuit Junior.  Abby also loves her story cubes and Isabelle her Spot! Junior Animals.  We also liked playing Qwirkle.  Haven't even played History Timeline, Set, Iota and Quiddler yet!

1 comment:

  1. das war aber eine schöne weihnacht
    Sag deinem Mann wenn ich mal an Weihnachten da bin muss er ein Smoking anziehen und Nathan
    nicht mit TShirt
    dann betet er das ich nie da bin hihi :-)

    ReplyDelete